About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Friday, January 31, 2014

George Orwell’s Dessert Recipes


In a diary entry from March 5, 1936, which gave us 33-year-old Orwell’s contemplation of gender equality in work and housework, he writes down Mrs. Searle’s fruit loaf recipe to keep himself from losing it, noting parenthetically that it is “very good with butter.”

  • 1 lb flour. 
  • 1 egg. 
  • 4 oz. treacle. 
  • 4 oz. mixed fruit (or currants). 
  • 8 oz. sugar.
    6 oz. margarine or lard. 
Cream the sugar and margarine, beat the egg and add it, add the treacle and then the flour, put in greased tins and bake about 1/2 to 3/4 hour in a moderate oven.

More at Brain Pickings

No comments: