About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Sunday, April 26, 2015

Where Does Kissing End?

Mina is the illegitimate daughter of Harry and Lucy, both of whom are also illegitimate. Harry is largely absent except for the times he drops by to have sex with Lucy. Mina is sent outdoors but watches them through the mail slot. As a young woman Mina becomes a travel agent and has many sexual relationships. Then she meets Stephen who is sexually naive and falls for her hard. She disappears at night, he becomes weak and sick.

At first I thought that this was a story about a girl who lacked a supportive relationship with her father and as a result has poor self esteem and difficulty forming positive intimate relationships in adulthood. But is it possible I misread it? While looking for a cover shot to post here I saw posts that described Where Does Kissing End? as a vampire novella. Looking back I guess the signs were there but I wasn't paying attention. Is Mina a vampire or is vampirism a metaphor for something else? Whether Mina is a vampire or not I didn't care for the book. I read it because I've enjoyed a few of Kate Pullinger's other books. If I'd read this one first I don't think I would have gone on to read any of her others.

No comments: