About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Thursday, March 24, 2016

James Baldwin’s Longtime Home in Southern France Faces Demolition


Acclaimed writer James Baldwin moved from New York to Paris in 1948 and then to Saint-Paul de Vence in the south of France, where he eventually died with his longtime lover, the obscure Swiss painter Lucien Happersberger. The vacant house on the Chemin du Pilon has been sadly neglected. Once Baldwin’s younger brother David died, the property reverted to the heirs of his friend and former landlady Jeanne FaurĂ©. The property has subsequently been acquired by a real estate developer who plans to demolish what’s left of the house, subdivide the land, and build luxury villas.

More here

No comments: