About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Wednesday, June 08, 2016

A Comic Book Character Seeks Sexual Empowerment in Postwar Italy

Excerpt from ‘Anita, Una Storia Possibile’ (1974), cover to first Italian edition
(photo courtesy Scott Eder Gallery)
 Inspired by American silent screen star Louise Brooks, Valentina Rosselli is the heroine of illustrious Italian comic book artist and graphic novelist Guido Crepax, who started drawing the famous character in 1965. Through his outstanding technique, cinematic compositions, and subtle use of ink and line, Crepax created an introspective and consciously sensual character, a photographer living in the midst of a feminist revolution, that would become his trademark.
more here 

No comments: