About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Monday, December 18, 2017

Frozen Silence


Authors love to test their characters’ mettle by subjecting them to this kind of extreme cold, whether the setting is New England, Antarctica, or Pluto. Here are some Quotes About Extreme Cold from Signature Reads:

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows, 1908
“No animal, according to the rules of animal-etiquette, is ever expected to do anything strenuous, or heroic, or even moderately active during the off-season of winter.” 
Haruki Murakami, Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman, 2006
“Ice contains no future, just the past, sealed away. As if they’re alive, everything in the world is sealed up inside, clear and distinct. Ice can preserve all kinds of things that way — cleanly, clearly. That’s the essence of ice, the role it plays.” 
e.e. cummings, ViVa, 1931
“The snow doesn’t give a soft white damn Whom it touches.”
More quotes 

No comments: