About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Thursday, July 11, 2019

Can you help transcribe a 17th century witches' spell-book?

Among the Newberry Library’s extensive collection of rare Bibles and Christian devotional texts are a series of manuscripts about healing, helping, casting charms and conjuring spirits. The library is asking for help translating and transcribing these texts.

Below is a transcription of a toothache remedy:


Fryer Bacons Charme
against the Toothache.
Fl. ha, hab, hur. hurs; geball. etc.
Pro eodem mordo.
Fl. A. Ab. hur, hus, gebal gamarita
The name of the partie diseased is to be
written right against the Charme upon
the other Side. Prik all the vowells. Et
fiet per Gratiam Dei.
For the Toothache
Take a tooth out of a deadmans skull
and hange the same about the partie’s neck,
till the payne cease.
for the Toothache.
Write theis words upon a Paper. Aligat [cross]
Galis [cross] Aualis [cross]. Hang it about the
parties neck: et Sanus erit.
Where do I find a dead man's skull?

Link
Via

No comments: