About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Sunday, February 09, 2020

Charles Dickens 'treasure trove' goes to London museum



A new collection of letters, manuscripts, original artworks and personal effects has been acquired by the Charles Dickens museum in London. Among the 300 items is a note to his butler on how to serve alcoholic beverages at a dinner party.
 Under the heading “Wine”, he writes: “At supper, let there be a good supply of champagne all over the table. No champagne before supper, and as little wine as possible, of any sort, before supper.”
Also: “Mitchell or John [his staff] to keep gin punch in ice under the table, all evening, and to give it only to myself or Mr Lemon [Mark Lemon, the founding editor of Punch].”

Read more about the collection: The Guardian

No comments: