About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Wednesday, October 28, 2020

The new cover of Bazaar Art is based on a Margaret Atwood poem.


The painter Michaela Yearwood-Dan has created a limited edition cover for the November issue of Harper’s Bazaar‘s Bazaar Art based on Margaret Atwood’s poem Feather from her latest book Dearly, her first collection of poetry in over a decade.

Feather
by
MARGARET ATWOOD

One by handfuls the feathers fell.
Windsheer, sunbleach, owlwar,
some killer with a shotgun,

who can tell?
But I found them here on the quasi-lawn –
I don’t know whose torn skin –

a splayed calligraphy of plumes,
remains of a god that melted
too near the moon.

A high flyer once,
as we all were.
Every life is a failure

at the last hour,
the hour of dried blood.
But nothing, we like to think,

is wasted, so I picked up one from the slaughter,
sharpened and split the quill,
hunted for ink,

and drew this poem
with you, dead bird.
With your spent flight,

with your fading panic,
with your eye spiralling down,
with your night.

No comments: