About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Sunday, January 24, 2021

Money (That's What I Want)

 Letters of Note reminds us that 99.9% of people have at some point worried about, needed more of, and sometimes written awkward, angry, or amusing letters about, money.
Spring is here—and I could be very happy, except that I am broke. Would you mind paying me now instead of on publication for those so stunning verses of mine which you have? I am become very, very thin, and have taken to smoking Virginia tobacco.

Wistfully yours,

Edna St. Vincent Millay

P.S. I am awfully broke. Would you mind paying me a lot?

Edna St. Vincent Millay | Letter to Poetry editor Harriet Monroe, 1 Mar 1918 | Letters of Edna St. Vincent Millay



If John Barth doesn’t come back next year and you pay his replacement four grand per course more than I am getting, I’m going to wonder if a woman’s fist shouldn’t be painted on my classroom door. Even if John Barth stays at his same salary I’m going to wonder: I know it is a desperate time of money at Boston University but if a man gets it then why doesn’t a woman? Need I list my qualifications as a writer, teacher etc? If I’m important I want to be paid importantly.

Anne Sexton
| Letter to George Starbuck, 3 Dec 1972 | A Self-portrait in Letters

Read more here 

No comments: