About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Monday, November 28, 2022

Word of the Year 2022



Merriam-Webster has named 'gaslighting' as its Word of the Year 2022. First used in a film in the mid 20th century the word referred to a kind of deception. It is defined as: 
"psychological manipulation of a person usually over an extended period of time that causes the victim to question the validity of their own thoughts, perception of reality, or memories and typically leads to confusion, loss of confidence and self-esteem, uncertainty of one's emotional or mental stability, and a dependency on the perpetrator."

Other top lookups this year: 

oligarch, omicron, codify, LGBTQIA, sentient, loamy, raid and queen consort.

 

No comments: