About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Thursday, April 13, 2006

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

Christopher is 15 years old and autistic. When he discovers the poodle across the street dead, stabbed with a pitchfork, he decides to solve the mystery and write a book about it. The author, Mark Haddon, speaks in Christopher's voice and helps us to understand the confusing, sometimes terrifying world of autism. We see Christopher struggle to organize all the stimuli coming at him, mostly by doing math in his head (he's a savant). Circumstances force him to make some difficult choices that thrust him into the larger world, alone and afraid and he accomplishes more than he ever thought he could. His parents love him but they have their own limitations and it's not easy parenting Christopher - my heart went out to them. The book is sad and funny and offbeat and hopeful and, yes, he does solve the mystery. I gobbled it up in no time and was sorry to be finished it although it ended on an upbeat note.

No comments: