About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Astonishing Splashes Of Colour


In Claire Morrall's first novel, Astonishing Splashes Of Colour, Kitty is a woman, grieving after a stillbirth. She also suffers from synaesthesia, a condition in which feelings are experienced as colors although the novel could stand alone without this particular twist. Kitty unravels in increments as she tries to reconstruct her own past. Her mother died when she was three leaving her father to raise her much older brothers and herself but as she tries to assemble the bits and pieces of her past the truth turns out to be one she'd never expected. She also develops anew understanding about her personal relationships. I found this novel to be very engaging and it doesn't surprise me that it was nominated for a Booker Prize.

No comments: