About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Sunday, November 16, 2008

Londonstani


I tried. I really, really did. I just couldn't finish this novel. I'm not usually a quitter but this time I said to myself, "Just say no."
The narrator of the novel is Jas who, it seems, was a bit of nerd. He becomes involved with an Asian youth gang of "desis" who act tough but still live at home with their mummies and daddies. They beat people they don't like to a bloody stew, steal and reprogram cell phones and drive around in parental souped up BMWs. They are narcissistic, misogynistic and superficial. I just didn't care what happened to any of them. In fact I found myself hoping they'd all get what they deserved. In the end it was their incessant dopey chatter in bastardized patois that got to me. I guess I'm not the target audience and life is too short to read stuff that doesn't speak to me. Straight to the charity bin for this one.

No comments: