About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Game Control

Lionel Shriver has written some very good novels. My favourite,We Need To Talk About Kevin, is disturbing yet riveting. Game Control is discomfiting but I found myself fighting the temptation to put it down. A treatise on the morality of demography couched as romance just doesn't work. In fact it misses the mark bigtime. Eleanor, a dogood American aid worker in Kenya, falls for Calvin, a misanthropic yet seductive wannabe mass murderer. She is so hot for him but he gave up sex long ago when his African lover/ mercenary soldier died. Or maybe it was all the elephants he killed - I don't know. A preposterous plot and cliched characters ruined this novel and Africa for me.

No comments: