About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Writers' words in the places they describe

Let's follow Canada and display writers' words in the places they describe
It's an arresting image – the moment when a nun falls from Toronto's Bloor Street Viaduct in Michael Ondaatje's novel In the Skin of a Lion, and is caught by a worker. 'He saw it was a black-garbed bird, a girl's white face. He saw this in the light that sprayed down inconsistently from a flare fifteen yards above them. They hung in the halter, pivoting over the valley, his broken arm loose on one side of him, holding the woman with the other … '
And this is an arresting idea from a group of Canadians – a plan to place permanent markers displaying text from stories and poems in the locations where they take place. Yesterday saw Ondaatje launch the project on Bloor Street Viaduct, and there are plans to place what they're calling Bookmarks across Canada – Carol Shields in Winnipeg, Michael Crummey in St John's, Anne Michaels' Fugitive Pieces on Toronto's Grace Street.

No comments: