About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Saturday, January 09, 2010

Books You Can Live Without

Some of you will know that this is an ongoing dilemma for me. I recently packed up a dozen boxes of yellowed paperbacks that I bought brand new when they cost less than a dollar. If I really want to reread On The Road or Naked Lunch I'll buy a better copy that is in an earlier stage of decomposition. Books that I read once but found mediocre and will never go back to also made the cut. Unfortunately this most recent culling did not make a dent in my collection. My lack of ruthlessness has but one defense: booklined walls make excellent and attractive insulation.


It’s that time of the year when a fresh start means reducing the clutter accumulated in the last 12 months and in the many months and years before. The sagging bookshelf and the piles of books under the tables and around the bed might be a good place to start.

How do we decide what to cull and what to keep?

NYTimes.com
Via

No comments: