About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Saturday, February 06, 2010

Right Livelihoods


I looked forward to reading these three novellas by Rick Moody. I loved The Ice Storm and Purple America but these three stories did nothing for me (or rather the first two didn't and I didn't get beyond the first few sentences of the third before deciding to call it quits). I was briefly amused by the alcoholic Van Deusen character who speaks in the same affected tone my husband adopts when he wants to infuriate our sons. Unfortunately Van Deusen's voice eventually had a similar effect on me. The theme of the three novellas is conspiracy theory gone (as is often the case) wrong. I guess I've said enough. I'll read Moody's next book and hope it appeals to me more than this one did because I really want to like his work.

No comments: