About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Writers on Trains

I took the train to and from New York City this weekend. About halfway through my way there, I looked outside and thought about how Richard Russo would describe the moment, “the train steered itself along the tracks and I quietly sat and stared at the rambling river, wondering what would happen once I made it to my destination”.

Then I started naming other authors in my head and trying to think about how they’d describe a train trip. Feel free to add yours in the comments.

(Character names used are not supposed to be those characters, some names are from their books and some aren’t. Any commonalities are coincidental).

Jack Kerouac on a train
“We got raging drunk and went to the dining car. The girl we sat next to was pretty, quiet, too innocent to be on a train. Sal entertained her with fake stories of his bravery in the Army while I made excuses up for smoking her cigarettes.”

see more at Lauren Leto

No comments: