About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Friday, September 24, 2010

Dating site finds booty calls for book lovers

He had me at Thomas Pynchon.

Bookworms are having their moment with the rise of a slew of new dating sites and events geared toward the literary set.
There’s alikewise.com (tagline: “Dating by the book”), which lets users scope out would-be partners based on their reading picks. Brooklyn’s Word Bookstore matches up customers with a corkboard in the shop and also hosts mixers, proms and running groups for the brains in the neighbourhood. And in Belgium, “lib-dating” sees bookworms speed-dating among the bookshelves of their local libraries, where participants have 10 minutes to hook a date by expounding on their favourite authors.

Although dating sites have been growing increasingly niche over the years – think TrekPassions.com, SingleParentsMingle.com and HumanitarianDating.com – some have reeked of exclusivity more than others, including BeautifulPeople.com, which booted 5,000 members for gaining weight last Christmas.

While not aesthetically superficial, bookish dating sites and events have a snooty connotation: Can literary tastes really make or break a couple?

No comments: