About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Monday, October 04, 2010

Letter To D

This is a love letter from a man to the woman he has lived with for 58 years. The man is Andre Gorz, writer and philosopher and expat Austrian Jew. The woman is his British born wife, Dorine. They met after the war and spent the rest of their lives together, She supported him in all he did. He wrote this slim memoir when Dorine became terminally ill and it ends with him saying that neither wants to live without the other. Unsurprisingly a year after the book was published they committed suicide together. 
This book is romantic and sad without being sentimental. The prose is spare and the book is only 106 pages in length but I felt I knew this couple well by the end of the story and I liked them. 

No comments: