About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Early Bird: A Memoir of Premature Retirement

After losing his job at the tender age of 28 Rodney Rothman decides to retire to Century Village senior citizen complex in Boca Raton, Florida. The premise is amusing but the book is only mildly humorous. The denizens of the complex are cinematic stereotypes: the salty nonagenarian ex-comic, the aging femme fatale, the former heroin  dealer who, just like any other old guy, needs a place to retire, etc.
His roommate is a depressed piano teacher with pets from hell. The bits about the two cats and the parrot are actually the funniest.
I wouldn't recommend this book. There is only so much that can be said about shuffleboard and lounging by the pool. It just wasn't that funny or even interesting. There was some talk about adapting it for tv. Since Rothman wrote for the Letterman Show he could likely turn this into a sitcom that would work better than the memoir.
Oh, and Florida sounds like hell.

No comments: