About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

20 Common Grammar Mistakes That (Almost) Everyone Gets Wrong

20 common grammar mistakes John Gingerich sees, not only in editorial queries and submissions, but in print: in HR manuals, blogs, magazines, newspapers, trade journals, and even best selling novels. I'm bookmarking this post for future reference.



Moot 
Contrary to common misuse, “moot” doesn’t imply something is superfluous. It means a subject is disputable or open to discussion. e.g., The idea that commercial zoning should be allowed in the residential neighborhood was a moot point for the council.
Continual and Continuous 
They’re similar, but there’s a clear difference. “Continual” means something that's always occurring, with obvious intervals. “Continuous” means something that continues without any stops or significant intervals in between. e.g., The continual music made it the worst night of sleep ever. e.g., Her continuous talking drove him crazy.


See more at LitReactor

No comments: