About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Dickens in Chelsea

 April 2nd 1836. The curate of St Luke’s church performs a marriage ceremony. The bride, the groom, their immediate families, the best man and another male friend of the groom. The groom is a man with prospects, a journalist and author. His work was published by four different publishers that year. He was on his way to fame and fortune. The couple had a long marriage in front of them. A not entirely happy marriage as it turned out and the groom had cause to regret his decision to marry on the rebound from another woman. We have to assume he never regretted the births of his ten children.

Selwood Terrace where Dickens came to stay for the period of the courtship.

Read more at The Library Time Machine

No comments: