About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Thursday, October 04, 2012

Things to Ban Instead of Commonly Banned Books


Commonly Banned: The Color Purple, by Alice Walker.
Ban Instead: The practice of bringing up Alice Walker and no other examples in debates about whether the publishing world is overwhelmingly white and male, as a means to argue that there is no lack of diversity there.

Commonly BannedThe Golden Compass, by Phillip Pullman.
Ban Instead: Disappointing movie adaptations of The Golden Compass, by Phillip Pullman.

Commonly Banned: To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee.
Ban Instead: Didn’t you listen to Atticus?

Commonly BannedFahrenheit 451, by Ray Bradbury.
Ban Instead: Witty observations about the irony of banning Fahrenheit 451, which is itself about banned books.
More at The Hairpin

No comments: