About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Monday, March 04, 2013

Worth discussing

Book Riot:

Patchett’s equation of Amazon to Wal-Mart places the blame for the decrease in independent bookstores squarely on consumers, but this makes me wonder what role and responsibility publishers and authors have in Amazon’s ascendence. Patchett’s books are widely and well-reviewed on Amazon, so I assume that selling books through them has been financially beneficial for her and her publishers. Perhaps it is my own peculiar sensibility, but there is something disingenuous about calling readers who are acting in their financial interest by shopping at Amazon “uncivil” while at the same acting in your own financial interest by selling there.

No comments: