About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Wednesday, August 07, 2013

Authors on Notes

Inspired by the Bank of England's  decision to place Jane Austen on the British £10 note in 2017, AbeBooks suggests some contemporary authors who might look right on the money.

How likely is it that Hunter S. Thompson would appear on a banknote of any denomination? Not very.


The father of Gonzo journalism will never be placed on money. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas might be one hell of a read but it's not the sort of literature enjoyed by the Federal Reserve. We love the idea of Hunter on the $100 note, smoking and wearing shades, and he'd probably like it too.
But I think Margaret Atwood looks right at home on this $20 bill.


AbeBooks is based in Canada so we want to acclaim a literary Canuck. Margaret is prolific and writes great books. She fights for authors, readers and the environment. Margaret, Peggy to her friends, is fiercely Canadian and yet rarely conventional. She would have to displace Canada's first prime minister, John A MacDonald, however.
Many more at this Link 

No comments: