About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Thursday, September 26, 2013

Is David Gilmour Sexist?

"David Gilmour , recently appointed to a teaching position at the University of Toronto despite his lack of a doctorate, told writer Emily M. Keeler that his class syllabus omits any works by female authors for a reason: He doesn’t like them, and is therefore not interested in teaching them."

I recently read and reviewed his short novel Extraordinary which has been nominated for the 2013 Giller Prize. I liked the book very much and still do. Gilmour is, of course, entitled to teach whatever he wants but I think that rejecting the work of half of the human race is extreme and, despite what he thinks, such extremism may well lose him the Giller.

No comments: