About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Tuesday, October 08, 2013

The 13 Worst Reviews of Classic Books

A quarter century ago, Pushcart editor Bill Henderson put together Rotten Reviews Redux, a collection of the meanest and most scathing reviews of classic books and the writers who penned them. The vitriol returns in a 2012 edition of the book with a new introduction from Henderson.



"Whitman is as unacquainted with art as a hog is with mathematics." -The London Critic, 1855, on Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman










"Here all the faults of Jane Eyre (by Charlotte Brontë) are magnified a thousand fold, and the only consolation which we have in reflecting upon it is that it will never be generally read." -James Lorimer, North British Review, 1847, on Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë







"Monsieur Flaubert is not a writer." -Le Figaro, 1857, on Madame Bovaryby Gustave Flaubert








Link to more 

No comments: