About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Always Yours


Letters of Note has published another wonderful piece of correspondence. This one is written by Mark Twain to his wife Olivia on her 30th birthday. He is obviously still very much in love with her after 6 years of marriage

Hartford, November 27, 1875
Livy darling,
Six years have gone by since I made my first great success in life and won you, and thirty years have passed since Providence made preparation for that happy success by sending you into the world.
Every day we live together adds to the security of my confidence that we can never any more wish to be separated than that we can ever imagine a regret that we were ever joined. You are dearer to me to-day, my child, than you were upon the last anniversary of this birth-day; you were dearer then than you were a year before—you have grown more and more dear from the first of those anniversaries, and I do not doubt that this precious progression will continue on to the end.
Let us look forward to the coming anniversaries, with their age and their gray hairs without fear and without depression, trusting and believing that the love we bear each other will be sufficient to make them blessed.
So, with abounding affection for you and our babies, I hail this day that brings you matronly grace and dignity of three decades!
Always Yours,
S.L.C.
(Source: Complete Letters of Mark Twain; Image: Olivia and Samuel Clemens, via Courant.)

No comments: