About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Friday, March 14, 2014

Short Poems: Exquisite Little Vessels of Thought

Poets generally tend to agonize over the selection and deployment of each and every word. When a poem only uses a few dozen words, each one becomes extremely important.
Here are a few lovely small poems:




This Is Just to Say
I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox 
and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast 
Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold
- William Carlos Williams (1934)



Separation
Your absence has gone through me
Like thread through a needle.
Everything I do is stitched with its color.
- W. S. Merwin (1973)


More at Jerz's Literacy Weblog

No comments: