About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Tuesday, April 08, 2014

American Library

How many book lovers among the young has the Internet produced? Far fewer, I suspect, than the millions libraries have turned out over the last hundred years. Their slow disappearance is a tragedy, not just for those impoverished towns and cities, but for everyone everywhere terrified at the thought of a country without libraries -A Country Without Libraries, by Charles Simic
Photographer Robert Dawson has photographed hundreds of libraries in 48 states. Here are a few from The Public Library: A Photographic Essay:



Destroyed Mark Twain Branch Library, Detroit, Michigan, 2011


Library built by ex-slaves, Allensworth, California, 1995


Miss Cass Lake winners, Cass Lake Community Library,
Cass Lake, Minnesota, 2012


No comments: