About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Tuesday, November 04, 2014

History of the 20th Century in 100 Maps

1901: Jewish East LondonInfluenced by Charles Booth’s ‘poverty map’,
this shows the density of the Jewish population in east London
after a decade of pogroms in eastern Europe

Photograph: British Library


History of the 20th Century in 100 Maps by Tom Harper :

These maps tell many stories, revealing changing social attitudes towards the unfamiliar and unconventional, from Jewish London at the turn of the century to women in the workplace, and from the Edwardian opium trade to gay London in the 1980s. The maps cover the peak of imperial pageantry as well as rapid post-war decolonisation, and they explore technological change from the expansion of the London Underground system to 1980s computer games.
See the photo gallery

No comments: