- Your sister met a man once. He loved her despite — or perhaps because of — her chronic illness.
- He is your husband now. You have no children.
- Nothing has ever happened to you except one thing, decades ago.
You are having an affair with a married man. His sister knows, and hates you. She has volunteered to drive you back to town.
- You see the man you once thought you’d marry.
- He is married to someone less attractive than you. But aren’t you both less attractive now, after all this time?
- You are thoughtful, well-read, and ruthlessly practical. You never marry.
- You went to a place once. Decades later, you return under very different circumstances.
- You see truths about people that no one in your small Canadian town wants to admit. A married man can sense this about you, and he offers to take you for a drive.