About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Thursday, April 30, 2015

The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out The Window And Disappeared

I chose to listen to the audible version of this book because I thought it would be easy to follow while running. Allan Karlsson is about to celebrate his 100th birthday in a nursing home but he doesn't get to drink as much as he'd like at the home and decides to escape. He climbs out the window in his slippers and a crazy journey begins. First he steals a suitcase which contains a fortune that was payment for a drug deal. The drug dealers are trying to track the money down and the police are also searching for Allan after a warrant is issued for a triple murder. Along the way he meets some interesting friends and an elephant. This would be daunting for most centenarians but it turns out that Allan has led a very exciting life and he remains unfazed. His current adventures are alternated with flashbacks to his earlier life. It seems he was a Forrest Gump-like character, a man who inadvertently witnesses, and also influences, some of the defining events of the century. He meets up with some of the most prominent figures in 20th century history and is taken into their confidence and given lots of alcohol. It's all a bit silly and unbelievable and that's okay. But perhaps Allan just lived too bloody long because his story is entertaining until about three quarters of the way through and then it starts to wear a bit thin.

No comments: