About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Monday, December 19, 2016

AbeBooks' Most Expensive Sales of 2016

Each year AbeBooks publishes a list of its most expensive sales . In 2016 these ranged from Charles Dickens to Dr. Seuss. The most expensive was:


Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
by Lewis Carroll- $36,000
Only 22 copies of the true first edition are in existence after Lewis Carroll withdrew the entire print run of 2,000 copies. One such copy came up for auction earlier in 2016 and was expected to sell for between $2 million and $3 million, but it failed to meet its reserve and didn't sell. This copy that sold via AbeBooks was one of the first thousand copies printed for the American market. The publisher is Appleton of New York and the publication date is 1866.

No comments: