About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Friday, May 05, 2017

Howl by Amy Newman (2015)

A feminist's tip of the hat to Allen Ginsberg's 1956 poem:

Howl 
by Amy Newman 

I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by wedding 
planners, dieting, in shapewear,
dragging themselves in cute outfits through the freezer section for the semifreddo bender,
blessed innovative cloister girl pin-ups burning to know the rabbi of electricity in poverty, obedience, in the dream stick of opium and the green Wi-Fi fuse,
who marveling and cramping and wired and allergic lock themselves out of their apartments in the trenchant imperfect delight of early day,
who bared their minds to bar friends by the train in twilight and saw tiny figures like fireflies splendoring apartments Botoxed flat like canvas  continue reading

Hear Newman read the poem on Soundcloud

Via


No comments: