About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Tuesday, June 06, 2017

A 19th-Century Illustrated Guide to Bizarre British Games


A sale being held by Swann Auction Galleries presents an opportunity to revisit a copy of the first edition of “the first major scholarly effort in English to chronicle games and sports,”Glig-Gamena Angel-Deod, Or, The Sports and Pastimes of the People of England.

It looks like life was a real barrel of laughs back in the day. Hot Cockles was a painful pastime featuring a woman with her face buried in another’s lap as her friends slap her head; another game depicts an individual toting a chicken while balanced on a stick propped up by two players while another man trails the procession, brandishing a stick.
More here 

Via

No comments: