About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Monday, July 31, 2017

The Bricks and Mortar Buildings Behind Fictional Houses

Howards End, Manderley, Brideshead – some fictional houses are as unforgettable as the characters who inhabit them. British literature is filled with thinking, writing, and imagining houses in ways that betray a particular consciousness of house and home.

Menabilly: Daphne du Maurier coveted the house for decades
before she moved in and restored it

Lawn Road flats, London, where Agatha Christie lived with her second husband.
Photograph: Alamy
Sounds of the suburbs … Julian Barnes' ‘Metroland is about defeat”.
Photograph: Bloomberg/Getty Images

Read More

No comments: