About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Friday, September 15, 2017

Dorothy Parker on J.P. Donleavy's The Ginger Man

The world lost a marvellous writer this week.


“To me The Ginger Man brings a faint suggestion in its preposterous humor of what Samuel Beckett’s Murphy might have been if Mr. Beckett hadn’t gone and got himself all snagged up in convoluted writing, or perhaps a hazy memory of Joyce Cary’s fine novel The Horse’s Mouth, though Mr. Donleavy’s Sebastian Dangerfield makes Joyce Cary’s scoundrel look like teacher’s pet. But this is just straining on my part. Mr. Donleavy’s book in style and matter need pull the forelock to nobody on earth but to Mr. Donleavy.”
–Dorothy Parker, The Atlantic, July, 1958 
More here

No comments: