About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Monday, November 06, 2017

Letters to the Lady Upstairs by Marcel Proust – digested read


John Crace writes incisive pastiches of popular writers for The Guardian. This week's Digested Read is Letters to the Lady Upstairs by Marcel Proust, a charming, funny, poignant collection of twenty-three letters from Marcel Proust to his upstairs neighbour.
"I thank you with all my heart for the deep consideration you have shown me in limiting the noise that your builders are making, but I urge you strongly to encourage them to make as much noise as possible between the hours of 3pm and 5pm next Tuesday, for at that time I shall be taking myself to visit the doctor, providing I am not too unwell to leave the house, in which case I shall have to beg you for absolute silence, as I am unable to work if there is the slightest movement above my head, for footsteps bring to mind the childhood anxiety of hearing Maman walking outside my bedroom door and not knowing whether she would step inside to kiss me goodnight."
I bought this for my husband for his birthday and look forward to reading it myself.

More here

No comments: