About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Sunday, March 04, 2018

Black Vodka

This collection of 10 edgy short stories by Deborah Levy takes place in the modern age of fluid borders. The characters seem dislocated; they float around Europe, falling in and out of relationships wherever they alight. They are damaged, either physically or psychologically, some having been abandoned or abused in childhood, others having abandoned their own families. They are haunted by the past and isolated in the present. The stories provided fleeting glimpses into lives that are very different from the one I've lived and I was fascinated. Each story is a well-crafted vignette. I read them all in a few hours and they left me wanting to read more of Levy's work.

No comments: