About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Monday, October 01, 2018

A Premature Attempt at the 21st Century Canon

Vulture has published a list by a panel of critics that tells us what belongs on a list of the 100 most important books of the 2000s:

The Best Book of the Century (for Now)
1. The Last Samurai, by Helen DeWitt

The 12 New Classics
2. The Corrections, by Jonathan Franzen (DISSENT: Freedom)
3. Never Let Me Go, by Kazuo Ishiguro
4. How Should a Person Be?, by Sheila Heti
5. The Neapolitan Novels, by Elena Ferrante
6. The Argonauts, by Maggie Nelson
7. 2666, by Roberto BolaƱo (DISSENT: The Savage Detectives)
8. The Sellout, by Paul Beatty
9. The Outline Trilogy (Outline, Transit, and Kudos), by Rachel Cusk
10. Atonement, by Ian McEwan
11. The Year of Magical Thinking, by Joan Didion
12. Leaving the Atocha Station, by Ben Lerner
13. The Flamethrowers, by Rachel Kushner

Read the rest here 

No comments: