About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Monday, February 11, 2019

The Cost Of Living

This slim volume contains author Deborah Levy's reflections as she embarks on a fresh start post-divorce. It is subtitled A Working Autobiography. Levy is 50, no longer a wife, with two daughters. She is a mother and a writer learning to live in a new reality. In spite of all sorts of upheaval she somehow manages to put one foot in front of the other. She rents an apartment with wacky heating and plumbing.She continues to write in a neighbour's backyard garden shed. She has a conflict with a fellow tenant over parking her bicycle, she fixes her blocked pipes, the chicken she has purchased for dinner gets flattened by a car but is still edible. It's about gender and motherhood and work and how life goes on.

No comments: