About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Monday, August 10, 2020

From Boarding Houses to Pensiones


Peter Cameron has compiled a reading list from his own bookshelves of 10 books set in grand hotels around the world. I have read five of them. I was pleased to be reminded of Helen Hanff's delightful The Duchess of Bloomsbury Street in which she visits London and stays at the “shabby-genteel” Kenilworth Hotel in Bloomsbury. I think I'll read it again, along with its prequel 84, Charing Cross Road.
One book I expected to see on the list was Anita Brookner's Booker Prize winning Hotel Du Lac but it was not included. I asked my husband to name a book set in a hotel and his immediate response was The Shining. I guess Peter Cameron does not own either of these.

No comments: