About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Saturday, October 24, 2020

Shere Hite, Author and Pulp Novel Model

Do you remember the 1976 best-seller The Hite Report? Shere Hite is best known as a feminist and authority on female sexuality but in the 1960s she was a Ph.D. student living in a Manhattan basement apartment, modeling to pay the rent. Robert McGinnis was one of the nation’s leading illustrators. His drawings of half-naked women graced the covers of pulp novels and movie posters. Hite was McGinnis’s muse.

Two Hite-McGinnis collaborations for Carter Brown titles. “She had this beautiful snow-white complexion,” McGinnis says. “And she knew how to move her body, to show it off to its best effect.”
Hite died last month at 77.

Via Airmail (sorry, paid subscription)

No comments: