About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Saturday, September 25, 2021

Star Wars Told as Epic Poem



The Star Wars movies have been retold in Shakespearean style. Now, it’s time for the great Greek poet Homer to have a turn: 

Along the narrow scaffolding Luke reels;

Beyond the reach of sight, a yawning pit.

He staggers through a doorway: there inside

Vader awaits, whose ruthless swordsmanship,

The best in all the galaxy, is loosed

Upon the boy, remorseless, unrestrained,

His saber thrusts precise, his slashes swift,

Cutting the doorway and the rail beyond

To bits, his power the greater, Luke’s the less:

Before the towering shadow and the mask

The boy is beaten backward step by step.

Too late he recollects wise Yoda’s words


That counseled prudence, warning of the risk


Of facing Vader unprepared. He falls


Backward upon the path, his foe’s red sword


Before his throat, the chasm black below.

Read more: gizmodo

The Odyssey of Star Wars: An Epic Poem by Jack Mitchell will be released September 28; you can pre-order a copy here.

No comments: