About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Thursday, October 21, 2021

A very real watch owned by a fictional character is up for auction

 


"The caretaker hung his thumbs in the loops of his gold watchchain and spoke in a discreet tone to their vacant smiles." - James Joyce Ulysses

John O’Connell wore the watch in James Joyce's novel Ulysses. His character was based on the real John O’Connell, the superintendent of Dublin’s Glasnevin Cemetery. O’Connell is described in Ulysses as a “decent fellow . . . a real good sort,” telling humorous stories to cemetery visitors simply “to cheer a fellow up . . . out of pure goodheartedness.”  

Now the same 18K gold key wind full Hunter pocket watch described above is being offered at auction by Bonhams, confirming a new trend of sales of real objects from the world of fiction after the sale earlier this month of the Poohsticks bridge. It is estimated that the 18-carat gold watch and chain could fetch as much as £80,000.

Read more:  Literary Hub 

No comments: