About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Thursday, July 21, 2022

The Best Books to Take You Through Newfoundland

Award winning Newfoundland author Michael Crummey shares book recommendations, local vocabulary and where to find a good pint. I'm looking forward to a trip to Newfoundland in September and will read some of his suggested books before I go. You don't have to be going to Newfoundland to read these (I've already read all of Lisa Moore's books and loved every one of them).

Related note: A few years ago, shortly before a visit to Newfoundland, I read Crummey's novel Sweetland about the Canadian government's controversial resettlement program that offered incentives to residents of isolated outports to move to larger centres. This led to the eradication of many small villages. The book inspired me to take the Rugged Beauty Boat Tour with Bruce Miller. It was very moving and was the highlight of my trip to Newfoundland. It provided context for Sweetland. If you're headed to The Rock you should give this a look:

No comments: