About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Tuesday, February 14, 2023

The Oldest Known Surviving Valentine


Beginning of Charles’ poem “Je suis desja d'amour tanné,” in a 15th-century copy of his personal manuscript.

Charles d’Orléans is remembered as a writer of romantic, witty and sometimes wistful poetry. He wrote in both Middle French and Middle English, the latter of which he learned to speak fluently while imprisoned in England for 25 years. Charles has been credited with writing the first Valentine card, in the form of a poem for his wife in 1415 at age 21.

(I am already sick of love,
My very gentle Valentine,
Since for me you were born too late,
And I for you was born too soon.
God forgives him who has estranged
Me from you for the whole year.
I am already sick of love,
My very gentle Valentine.


Well might I have suspected
That such a destiny,
Thus would have happened this day,
How much that Love would have commanded.
I am already sick of love,
My very gentle Valentine.)

Read More: Vintage Everyday

No comments: