About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Saturday, April 06, 2024

GOOD DOG

A very short story by my friend Steve Vermillion:

Leaving my home one morning I discovered a note taped to the outside of my front door. It read, "Please do something about your dog! The dog's barking each night is keeping me awake. I need my sleep!"
After reading his note, I thought to myself, "What jerk." I then walked back into my house and wrote my own note, tearing his down. My note stated that I did not have a dog, that he was mistaken, and at the moment, in an unrestrained impulse, via in an insult... "If you have anything on your mind it can't possibly be anything more substantial than a hat, also, please take into consideration that the barking which you claim is disturbing your sleep, may likely be coming from your wife."
A couple of days later, I found another note taped to my front door, stating, "There's no need for you to be hostile and sarcastic with me. Your note is mean spirited and beyond insulting. Let's bury the hatchet. I merely made a simple request. If I am wrong, then please accept my apology. All I was asking is for some peace and quiet if it is your dog barking at night. Sorry if you felt insulted...Your well meaning and neighborly friend"
I discovered his note on my door once again. Later that night, I gave Rex some treats. He jumped up on the bed with me as he always did. I petted him and said, "Good dog. That's my boy. Who's daddy's best boy?" while, as I scratched his tummy as he howled. with delight.

Steve Vermillion is a graduate of the University of California, Berkeley. He has had many works of short fiction published in both online and print magazines.

No comments: